The Male Reproductive System
In-depth notes on the male reproductive system with the assistance of clear diagrams. These notes also provide example MCQ and SAQs.
Describe and recognise the structure and function of the:
- Seminal vesicles
- Prostate gland
- Penis & Urethra
Describe the process of spermatogenesis and spermiogenesis
Basic Cell Types
• Describe the different types of epithelium, where they are located and their functional relevance.
• Know the different types of cells making up supporting tissues.
• Understand the term ‘mesenchymal tissue’.
• This lecture will not cover details of nervous system and muscle.
The Circulatory System
In-depth notes on the circulatory system, with the assistance of clear diagrams. A summary and a few revision questions are included.
Describe the macroscopic and microscopic structure and function of the blood circulatory system
Describe and recognise the structure of the heart and understand how structure relates to function
Compare and contrast the arterial and venous systems microcirculation
Describe and recognise (covered in previous bullet point):
- Elastic arteries, muscular arteries, arterioles
- Small and large veins
Describe the structure and function of the lymphatic system
Basic Cell Types
In-depth notes on the basic cell types, with the assistance of clear diagrams; a concise introduction to this module, giving a strong basis for building on tissue biology studies.
Four basic tissues:
• Epithelial (specialised tissue within organs, more complex)
• Supporting tissue
• Muscular tissue
• Nervous tissue
The Nervous System
• Introduction to the neuron
• Physiology of nerve impulse transmission
• Peripheral nervous system -> ANS
• Central nervous system
In-depth notes on embryology, with the assistance of clear diagrams.
• Fertilisation and gastrulation
• Structure of placenta
• Germ cell layers
• Basic details of formation of:
- Musculoskeletal system
- Urinary system
Histology of Skeletal Muscle
In-depth notes on the histology of skeletal muscle with the assistance of clear diagrams.
Histology and cellular function of:
Overview of bone growth
- Endochondral ossification
- Intramembranous ossification
Histology of Muscle
In-depth notes on the histology of muscle, with the assistance of clear diagrams.
• Describe and recognise the histology of skeletal, smooth and cardiac muscle
• Describe the process of contraction in each type of muscle
• Compare and contrast the 3 types of muscle
The Urinary System
In-depth notes on the urinary system with the help of clear diagrams.
1. Identify the major components of the urinary system and describe their functions
2. Describe the organisation and histology of the kidney
3. Describe the location, structure and function of a nephron and appreciate how the histological structure of its components relates to function
4. Describe the structure of the urinary epithelium and describe ways in which it is adapted for function
The Lymphoreticular System
The immune system is a network of soluble proteins, cells, tissues and organs that defend the body against foreign invaders. These concise lecture notes aim to provide a good understanding of this with the assistance of clear diagrams.
The Respiratory System
In-depth notes and clear diagrams on the respiratory system. Topics covered:
• Describe the branching structure of the respiratory tree
• Understand the different functions of the large and small airways
• Appreciate how structure relates to function in the respiratory tract
• Describe and recognise the histology of the terminal portion of the respiratory tree
• Describe the dual blood circulation to the lungs
The Lower Gastrointestinal Tract
Clear and concise notes on the lower GI tract: starts off with a summary of the learning objectives and then goes into each section in detail. I have also attached diagrams I found helpful alongside my own written notes. Outline:
• General definitions
• Structure of GIT
• Basic mucosal forms in GIT
• Summary and review
Liver and Pancreas
Very clearly laid out notes on the liver and pancreas. Alongside the notes are diagrams I found useful. The notes aim to provide a summary of the structure and function of the above organs.